Monday, October 17, 2016

Continuing the Birthday Blast(ers) with Some Physical (Not Digital) Trade Bait

The second product of my birthday splurge was a box of Topps Bunt.  A lot has been said on the subject, so I'll quickly add my two cents.  I'm not into the digital trading card scene.  I tried it with Topps Huddle and Panini Gridiron, but I only went with the free stuff.  After a while I started thinking, "Why on Earth do I care about some random pictures of players that appear on my phone?"  The short answer was, "I really don't care."  So I gave up on the apps.  I don't hold it against anybody who does like the digital version, but it's just not my cup of tea.  The physical Bunt cards, on the other hand, looked like a lot of fun.  (Note: That is the only time I will refer to these cards as physical cards.  I'm trying to convince myself that I did not just buy a box of digital cards that I could hold in my hands.  I bought a box of a Topps product that just happens to share a name with the Topps app.  That is all.)

I'd seen of the the design on other blogs I liked them.  The inserts looked like fun sets, especially the Programs.    And I figured that I stood a good chance of completing the base set with a single break.  Sounds like a product that is right up my alley.

And, just as I had hoped, I did complete the base set.  I decided the only insert set I would try to complete would be the Programs set.  Aside from a few keeper inserts, everything else was trade bait.

So what did I decide to keep?  Well, let's take a peek.

How about a trio of Cubbies inserts?


I really like the Light Force inserts.  They take me back to the 90s, looking like a Skybox product or something.  But I've decided to only chase one insert set, and Programs wins it.  Until I pulled the Bryant out of the last pack, I thought the Light Force set was only pitchers.  You'll see why in a minute.


For a serial number that only runs to 75, this set is a sneaky tough pull.  These Title Town cards come only 1:1395 packs, or roughly every 38 boxes.  I'm not a Dodgers fan, but Steve Garvey's face makes this a keeper for me.


Here's a "Bob" Clemente Platinum parallel, numbered to 99.  I like this one, so I think it'll stay with me.

So what is up for trade?  I have some base that might interest people:


 
Dwight Gooden, Mets
Elvis Andrus, Rangers
Kyle Schwarber, Cubs
Sean Doolittle, A's
Jay Bruce, Reds
Aledmys Diaz, Cardinals
Francisco Lindor, Indians
Madison Bumgarner, Giants
Masahiro Tanaka, Yankees
Robin Yount, Brewers
David Wright, Mets
Jacoby Ellsbury, Yankees
Chris Sale, White Sox
Corey Kluber, Indians
Stan Musial, Cardinals,
Nolan Ryan, Rangers
Giancarlo Stanton, Marlins

One thing I noticed about this set and I like, is that the large logo in the background fits with the era the player actually wore the uniform.  Some of the logos have just subtle differences, and it's fun to see them all side by side.  Good move by Topps.

Speaking of uniforms, all of these Unique Unis are up for grabs:


And the last of the trade bait, including a couple of legendary pitchers in the Light Force series:


As much as I like the set, that Koufax photo doesn't look like it belongs anywhere near that amount of color in the background.  It just has an odd feel to it.

What do you think of the box?  I'll be putting up a Programs want list soon.  Hit me up if you're interested in anything I have to offer here, and thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. I'm down to the last several inserts on the three I started from retail packs. Need your Koufax and Ryan (and 9 more) for Lightforces, finished my Unis, and need ten more Programs too.

    I'm sure I've got a lot of your player guys to swap...email me at QAPLAGCA at yahoo

    ReplyDelete