Friday, July 27, 2018

Straight Outta P-Town: All That Glitters

This installment of my P-Town castoffs will be short.  Today is our wedding anniversary, so I don't want to spend too much time on this.  But since I have had the celebration of my wedding on my mind, I thought I'd show off the shiniest cards that Tom sent my way.


I really like the two finest cards here, from 2015.  This is the first I've seen of this set, and I'm very happy with the player selection, too.  Given the state of the Cubs' rotation thus far this year, I'm doubling down on my desire that they would have resigned Jake instead of going after Darvish.  Maybe Hamels can find some more Wrigley magic.


I'm glad that the team was able to obtain Hamels without giving up a top prospect like Jen-Ho.  The farm system is pretty thin as it is.  Now I hope Tseng can develop into a reliable pitcher someday.  I'm also glad to see Heyward find his stroke this season.  I was always a fan in his Atlanta days, before he joined the Cardinals.  Alcantara may no longer be with the team, but the Diamonds in the Rough card is apropos for this anniversary post.
Finally, no post about shiny cards would be complete without some refractors.  Last year's Chrome looks great in refractor form.  Heyward makes another appearance here.

Looking back on the wedding 14 years ago, it was a bright July day with shining faces, and, of course, a sparkling ring.  I don't plan on doing that again, but I'll add some shiny cards any day.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Anniversary! I was also hitched on a warm July day fourteen years ago! Small world!

    ReplyDelete