Friday, December 13, 2019

Why Are There So Many Songs About Rainbows?


I've gotten in the habit of doing a yearly recap of my Brad Sorensen additions. As of now, I own at least one copy of 80 different Brad Sorensen cards, good for roughly 27% of the total number of cards he has, per Trading Card Database. This is where my collection ranks:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I'm probably the only person in the world building a Brad Sorensen collection.

My most recent COMC order added to my collection.

The challenge with collecting someone like Brad Sorensen in this era is that only a couple of companies made base cards of him. His cardboard footprint is mostly autographs. I was able to pick up a couple of really nice auto cards this time around, with the Leaf Trinity Pure being awesome and one of my favorite cards. It's acetate and thick, about 1/8" thick. Plus, it's hand-numbered, which is cool. Where the ink looks smeared, it's not. That's the refraction through the thick plastic causing that effect.

The highlight of my new Brad Sorensen pick-ups was the Topps Chrome Red Refractor. With that card, I've just completed my first rainbow!*

*Well, as complete as it will probably get. I'm still missing the Superfractor and the Gold Refractor, numbered to 50. The Red has a lower print run (25) than the Gold, but I've never seen the Gold version anywhere. It has never been on COMC and eBay shows no current listings and no past sales. So I'll hold a spot in the binder for it, but I'm not holding my breath. The Red was hard enough to track down; this was the first copy I've seen in four years and I snatched it up.

It's not the most exciting photo to make up a rainbow. Essentially, it's a balding guy throwing a pass at the Combine. But he's my T-Birds' quarterback, a Walter Payton Award finalist in 2012. Now that I've finished my Rainbow Connection, I can say what's on the other side. Mostly, it's serial-numbers! In this case, ranging from 499 down to 25.

7 comments:

  1. It's fun for me to see people post their supercollections of lower-end players since I generally go after the same types myself. I love those Pure autographs, and I hope you can eventually complete the non-1/1 portion of that rainbow! Good luck growing that PC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing the rainbow like that is just cool! Hope you can find the gold some day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic looking collection! I never get tired of seeing people's rainbows, as they always seem to brighten my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Dennis said, it's great to see collections like this (I supercollect an NHL enforcer who hasn't played in 15 years) His autograph "BRAD S~" is unique and the rainbow looks great! Keep searching for that gold (and the superfractor) hopefully it will turn up one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dang. Now I have Rainbow Connection stuck in my head. Lol.

    ReplyDelete