Wednesday, March 4, 2020

State of the Set: 2016 Topps Wal-Mart Marketside

I feel that there are too many sets on my wantlist that have been sitting there for years while I slowly chip away at them. This year I noticed that a lot of those sets are well within striking distance this year, so I've tried to swing some trades for set needs while focusing my recent Sportlots purchase on sets as well. We'll see how many sets I can kill before the year is out.

For the past few years, I have written a post that summarizes my set completion quests for the year. I still plan to do that for 2020, but I also decided to give a progress report for sets that I'm actively acquiring cards for along the way. I thought this might be more interesting than writing one giant post that tries to tie all the different cards from a trade or a purchase together.

Today we'll look at 2016 Topps Wal-Marketside.

These cards from a recent Sportslot Box order

Why I'm collecting this set: It was the first food issue set after a hiatus that seemed like many years. It was fun to pull cards out of my take-and-bake pizza, and the set design looks nice enough. I like that it is distinct from any other Topps product. It would have been easy for Topps to slap a Wal-Mart logo on its 2016 Flagship smoke, but kudos to them for creating something different.

How long has it been on my wantlist (roughly)?: This set went onto my wantlist immediately upon its release four years ago. It's not one that I have pursued too hard.

Current state of set completion: I have 41 of 50 cards, for 82% completion.

Current needs: #8 (Miguel Cabrera), #10 (David Ortiz), #20 (Noah Syndergaard), #24 (Bryce Harper), #33 (Aaron Nola), #41 (Kris Bryant), #44 (Albert Pujols), #45 (Clayton Kershaw), #47 (Corey Seager)

Prognosis: It's conceivable that I could cross this one off before year's end, but since it has never been a high priority, I don't know that I'll reach it. Still, with single digits to go, I might just have to hunt down those last cards with a little more gusto to get this set out of the way.

4 comments:

  1. I was kind of hoping Topps would start doing more of these food issues, but to my knowledge all they have done since are the base set design Utz cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. It's already been four years since these hit the hobby. Time sure flies. I remember I wanted to purchase the set... but never did. Best of luck on tracking down the final 9 for your set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get A Blank ATM CARD And Cash Good Money/Funds Pay Your Debt directly today in any ATM machine around you anywhere in the world. contact cryptoatmhacker@gmail.com.. It's 100% guaranteed secure with no worries of being caught because the blank card it's already programmed and loaded with good funds in it, in such a way that's not traceable which also have a technique that makes it impossible for the CCTV to detect you, i am not a stupid man that i will come out to the public and start saying what someone have not done. For more info contact Mr john and also on how you are going to get your Card, Order yours today via Email: cryptoatmhacker@gmail.com

    WhatsApp contact: +27733798090

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get A Blank ATM CARD And Cash Good Money/Funds Pay Your Debt directly today in any ATM machine around you anywhere in the world. contact cryptoatmhacker@gmail.com.. It's 100% guaranteed secure with no worries of being caught because the blank card it's already programmed and loaded with good funds in it, in such a way that's not traceable which also have a technique that makes it impossible for the CCTV to detect you, i am not a stupid man that i will come out to the public and start saying what someone have not done. For more info contact Mr john and also on how you are going to get your Card, Order yours today via Email: cryptoatmhacker@gmail.com

    WhatsApp contact: +27733798090

    ReplyDelete