Monday, October 18, 2021

Pack War: 2021 Donruss

Folks, I can't believe it, but I've found more 2021 football cards at the local Walmart! This is only the second time since the pandemic hit. I picked up three jumbo packs of Donruss football last week. I don't typically love Donruss base cards, but the inserts are often interesting. These are probably just one-off packs, so I was just hoping to get some good cards to fit my collection. We'll take a look at these three packs in competition.

Each pack came with base, three rookies, three or four SP photo variations, four blue Press Proofs, and an insert or two.

Base Cards

Pack 1

Pack 2

Pack 3

The way I'm scoring this is just rank order. Pack 2 is weak here, with Tiki Barber as the legend and two defenders I don't collect in the top of the most desirable base cards. Pack 1 has Brady and Namath, one of the hottest of today's QBs in Josh Allen, and two members of the 2010s All-Decade team. (Side note: why is the Patriot legend card Brady when he is still active and has a card with a different team? Odd choice.) But legend Brett Favre, three All-Decade performers, a Heisman winner, and one more Packer give Pack 3 the win.

Base Scores: Pack 3=3
                      Pack 1=2
                      Pack 2=1 
 

 Rookies
Pack 1

Pack 2

Pack 3

Nothing great here. The biggest name is obviously Justin Fields, but that doesn't necessarily sway this Packers fan. But looking at the other rookies, there is only one other first rounder (Jamin Davis). He is paired with late-round Packer pick Kylin Hill, but I don't know if the two of them together overcome Fields. Pack 1 features two second-rounders. Here's how I would score it.
 
Rookie Scores: Pack 2=3
                         Pack 3=2
                         Pack 1=1 


SP Photo Variations

Pack 1

Pack 2

Pack 3
 
The SPs are kind of lame. There are 50 in the set, and pretty much all of them are helmetless photos. They're all pretty big names, though. Let's break these down. Pack 1 has three cards for my collection: Manning, Hopkins, and Gronk, with Manning the big one for me. Pack 2 has two cards I'll add to my collection, and Davante Adams is the biggie. Pack 3 has three for my official collections (Moss and Brady), but my favorite card is Brees in a ballcap, so that one is a keeper, too. Final rankings:

SP Scores: Pack 3=3
                  Pack 1=2
                  Pack 2=1

Press Proof Blue

Pack 1

Pack 2

Pack 3

If you like parallels, have I got some pulls for you! Pack 1 is a Jaguar QB bonanza, but that's surprisingly a good thing. Team legend card Mark Brunell teams with #1 overall pick Trevor Lawrence for a strong pack. Pack 2 has superathlete DK Metcalf and a blue parallel of a Brady SP. Pack 3 has another MVS (that's two appearances for him in this pack) and a rookie offensive lineman who is coming on strong the past couple of games, Alijah-Vera Tucker. So, who wins: Trevor Lawrence or Brady SP? I was originally more excited about Brady, but then I saw that this Lawrence card sold for $30 after he picked up his first win yesterday. Theoretically, I could pay for all of these cards and then some if I were to sell it (but it's not for sale). Add in running mate Brunell, who is not someone I collect but someone I have always liked, and I'll give the slight edge to Pack 1

Blue Scores: Pack 1=3
                      Pack 2=2
                      Pack 3=1 


Inserts

Pack 1

Pack 2

Pack 3

Well, the inserts are shiny. That's not a bad way to close out this war. Pack 1 doesn't win this one. A fourth-round rookie doesn't compete with any of the other players. Pack 2 contained only one insert, but it was a solid Legend Series insert of Emmitt Smith. Pack 3 is teaming up Hall of Famer Randy Moss with current Dominator Tyreek Hill. All three cards fit in my collection, but I value Emmitt above both Moss and Hill. So. . . 

Insert Scores: Pack 2=3
                       Pack 3=2
                       Pack 1=1

Let's add them up. Pack 1 scored 9 points. Pack 2 scored 10. And Pack 3--carried by Packers Brett Favre and Kylin Hill, and Drew Brees/Tom Brady SPs--scored 11 for the win. 

I'm keeping all that I specifically mentioned fit my collections. If I didn't say I was keeping it, it's for trade. So if you see something you like, let me know.

2 comments:

  1. Pack 3 had the most Wolverines and is therefore the best ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am jealous you found Donruss! It only arrived here once and sold right out before I could even see it. All I see here is Chrome baseball, prizm wnba and prizm baseball which are all overpriced and I prefer football anyways. I was hoping to see some Kadarius Toney lol

    ReplyDelete