Thursday, September 15, 2016

All the Way to the Pinnacle, Zenith (Acme?) of the Hobby Pt. 2

Continuing my box of 1997 Pinnacle Zenith.  I've pulled a Hall of Famer out of every pack, and have one insert under my belt so far.

Pack 5

What's this?  Two Jerry Rices?  And All-Decade man Hardy Nickerson.  And my first Packer, a rare cardboard appearance in the Green and Gold by Mr. Bad Moon Rison.  And my second insert.  I'm not too happy to pull a Lawrence Phillips, but oh well.  Rookie Rising inserts have 1:12 odds, so I should get a second shot later on.  Overall, though, not a bad pack.

Pack 6

And the very next pack brings me that second expected Rookie Rising.  Keyshawn, the number one overall pick from the previous year.  I'm not a huge Keyshawn fan, but it sure beats Lawrence Phillips.  Really, the insert is the only saving grace for this pack.  No other big names, but there is a card of Jim Harbaugh being sacked.  You know, I've never understood why card companies put pictures of quarterbacks being sacked on the quarterback's card.  It's like a picture of a batter striking out.  Come to think of it, I have other cards of Harbaugh being sacked.  It must speak to the quality of the Colts' offensive line in those years.

Pack 7

Two Rices, and now two Favres.  Plus a Barry Sanders.  Needless to say, this is my favorite pack so far. All of these players are solid or stars.  Even Elvis had his moments. 

Pack 8

Three "rookies" in this pack, and it's a good selection with Zach Thomas, T.O. and one of my all-time favorite names, Tshimanga Biakabutuka.  But alas, these are faux-rookies, as these cards are actually from the year after their rookie year.

More to come from this box later.

1 comment: