Saturday, February 3, 2018

A Couple of Odd Packages

I've been more active on ebay over the past two months than I normally am.  I've just found that with my current collecting focus, ebay has served me better to find what I need than other outlets. I'll be posting a little more about these purchases in the coming weeks.  During my recent ebay shopping, I've come across some oddballs that I've snatched up.  One of these purchases was an oddball set that was advertised as containing Kurt Warner's rookie.  Plus, it was a promo set, so I took a chance on it. 

This is what I got:


Here is the checklist that met me on the top of the package.  From what I have been able to learn, 989 Sports was a subsidiary of Sony that made video games.  I never owned a video game console as a teen, so I only vaguely recall this.  Apparently, 989 Sports hosted a Players Party before the Super Bowl and NFL players competed in video sports.  The various card companies got in on the action with some promo cards for the party.  I don't know how they were made available.  This set is from the 2000 Players Party and features 1999 card designs.  There are 12 cards in the checklist.


The checklist is pretty darn good.  Here is the aforementioned Kurt Warner "rookie."  I don't truly consider a promo card to be a rookie, but it is the rookie year of a Hall of Famer.  Edgerrin James was also a 1999 rookie.


Here we have Upper Deck, Topps, and Collector's Edge.  I'm not sure which Upper Deck product is shown here, but it will pop up again later.  So will 1999 Topps.


Dorsey Levens represents the lone Packer and lone Fleer Tradition card in this set.


The final three cards are good ones, with Herschel Walker's return to the Cowboys and a John Randle.  Most of the players in this set would fit in my collection otherwise, so I'm happy with the purchase.  I'm tempted to divvy them out to my various player pages, but I'm keeping the set together.

Also from the same seller, I picked up a 1982 K-Mart set, complete with the original box.  I've always liked this cards and the set was on my wantlist, but I hadn't even approached half of the 44 card set.  Now I picked it up all at once.






For those of you who don't know (and I doubt there are many who don't), this set commemorates K-Mart's 20th anniversary with the AL and NL MVPs from 1962-1981.  Each card features a picture of their Topps card from their MVP year.  The final three cards mark important records: Don Drysdale's scoreless inning streak, Hank Aaron's home runs, and Pete Rose's hits. 

If that package wasn't odd(ball) enough, I recently completed a trade on TCDB that brought me some oddballs.  The entire PWE consisted of


Denny's Holograms and UK Minis.  Now these were some of the oddest packages I've ever received. 

2 comments:

  1. Hadn't noticed that Couch card before. Just went to COMC and picked one up. Thanks for showing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting promo cards. I like em!

    ReplyDelete