Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Sport Card Collecting From Sport Card Collectors!

Judging from some of the posts I've seen of late, Matt from Sport Card Collectors has been busy sending out PWEs to various bloggers.  I was fortunate enough recently to receive not one, but two PWEs with some football goodies from Matt.

As a noted Cubs fan and Rookie of the Year collector, I obviously have an affinity for Kris Bryant cards.  This year Topps put an entire Kris Bryant insert set into Flagship.  However, I don't think I'll chase down this entire set.  Something about a 30 card tribute set devoted solely to a player who has only entered his fourth season seems off to me.  That won't stop me from appreciating the cards that do come my way.  These cards mark the third through seventh additions to my collection from this set, all unique.

Faithful readers know that, like me, Matt is primarily a football guy.  He sent a few modern inserts of retired players my way.  My favorite is the shiny Kellen Winslow, who fits perfectly into my collection as a member of the 1980s All-Decade team.  Darrell Green is also an All-Decade guy.  When I opened the envelope, I wasn't sure exactly why Matt thought I was the best recipient for these particular cards.  Now I think that he was trying to hit needs for my Franchise 9 project.  So, do Larry Csonka, Franco Harris, Gale Sayers, and Jim Otto qualify for their respective teams' top nine?  We shall see as I begin to unfold the series.  Either way (and whether that was his intention or not) inserts of Hall of Famers are welcome in my home.


The big item was the only one I was expecting.  When Matt pulled the Fred Warner auto out of his break of Leaf Draft, I immediately claimed it.  He said I could have it if Warner wasn't drafted by the Giants.  On Day 2, I was happy to see the 49ers pick him, securing my latest BYU autograph.  For years, BYU was a quarterback school (see: Jim McMahon, Steve Young, Ty Detmer, et al).  In the past few years, they seem to be churning out linebackers instead.  Kyle Van Noy, Harvey Langi, and now Fred Warner have all been 2nd or 3rd round picks in the past five years.  In my opinion, Warner is the least of the three, but the promise he flashed during his freshman and sophomore years might be an indicator of the potential he still hasn't tapped.

Thanks for the PWEs, Matt!  It's always good to add to that BYU auto collection.

5 comments:

  1. That Franco Harris sure is cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! glad you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this kind of useful information!glad you enjoyed. Correct score predictions sites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Particular interviews furnish firsthand message on mart size, industry trends, ontogeny trends, capitalist landscape and outlook, etc. home page

    ReplyDelete