Thursday, April 23, 2020

State of the Set: 2018 Score NFL Draft

I feel that there are too many sets on my wantlist that have been sitting there for years while I slowly chip away at them. This year I noticed that a lot of those sets are well within striking distance this year, so I've tried to swing some trades for set needs while focusing my recent Sportlots purchase on sets as well. We'll see how many sets I can kill before the year is out.

For the past few years, I have written a post that summarizes my set completion quests for the year. I still plan to do that for 2020, but I also decided to give a progress report for sets that I'm actively acquiring cards for along the way. I thought this might be more interesting than writing one giant post that tries to tie all the different cards from a trade or a purchase together.

Since the NFL Draft begins today, I think it's great time to look at 2018 Score NFL Draft.




Why I'm collecting this set: I bought a couple of packs of 2018 Score when it first came out and immediately loved this insert set. It's so colorful and I wanted to see full pages of it in my binder.

How long has it been on my wantlist (roughly)?: Well, we're about to start the 2020 NFL Draft, so this has been about 2 years now.


Current state of set completion: I have 27 of 30 cards, for 90% completion.

Current needs: #1 (Sam Darnold), #6 (Saquon Barkley), and #8 (Calvin Ridley).


Prognosis: With only 3 cards remaining, I'll bump this set up my list of priorities. I'm missing probably the most expensive card in the set (Barkley), but they aren't expensive cards. I think I just might knock this set off my list before year's end.

On a side note, the most recently acquired card, shown here as Joshua Jackson, was a Packers' 2nd-round pick. I remember wanting Jackson with the 1st-round pick, but the Packers took Jaire Alexander instead and still ended up with the guy I wanted them to take. It turns out Alexander is a much better player than Jackson, too. This is why I'm not an NFL GM. This year, I know a lot of Packers fans want a receiver in the first round, but I think they can still get quality in Round 2. I'm hoping for linebacker Zach Baun. Which means the Pack will take somebody much better that I'm not familiar with and prove my ineptitude once more. I still love the Draft, though!

Also, I'm still hosting a giveaway. To enter, post about anything you collect besides sports cards and leave a comment with a link to your blog post on my blog post. Entries close April 30 at 11:59 pm MDT.



2 comments:

  1. I'm excited to write about my collection of _______ (which aren't sports cards). I doubt it will be finished in time for your contest (you'll see why when I write the post), but I'm not writing it for a prize. I just love BBA's and this one is a really cool topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welp, the Packers didn't take a receiver in round one! (Are you sure you couldn't be an NFL GM?)

    Btw, I like the swirling colors in the background of this Jackson card.

    ReplyDelete