Saturday, May 30, 2020

Three Cheers for Liberty!: A Cardpocalypse Challenge, Day 6

Challenge Report: Day 5

Each challenge has been met successfully. Each has been fun to complete. No real hiccups yet. Anticipate smooth completion of assignment.

Challenge Report: Day 6

Favorite non-sport card? Oh, crap.

I don't own any non-sport cards. I've thought about picking up some Doctor Who cards at some point. I'm quite jealous of Matt's Psych set. If it came down to it, and I really wanted a non-sport collection, I think I would buy a bunch of those Harry Potter chocolate frogs and collect the cards in there. But I had to think outside the box to complete this challenge. As it turns out, I have two cards I thought about, but both are baseball releases. Also, neither is A&G.


Option 1 is Patsy Cline. I was raised on country music. I don't know how many kids growing up in the 80s were listening to Patsy Cline on their parents' record players, but I was one of them. I'm not claiming she was my favorite, but she is legendary.


But I have to choose this card over Patsy Cline. As a history major, I'd be remiss to go any other direction with this one. The occasion is memorable enough to commemorate on cardboard that I don't even really care who the depicted signer is. Even so, I think this card would be cooler if it were of Thomas Jefferson. Or even the other Paine, Thomas. No relation to Mr. Robert Treat Paine. At least no close relation. Anyway, these represent about the only options I have for non-sport cards. I have a few more Golden Age cards and some Heritage inserts, but it's really not much to choose from.

2 comments:

  1. I was one of those kids growing up in the '80's listening to Patsy Cline with my parents too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to collect those HP chocolate frog cards too. At 3.99 per pack, it's not likely to happen for me anytime soon. But if I ever win the lottery... I'm gonna buy a ton of those frogs.

    ReplyDelete