Thursday, July 25, 2019

Wolverine to Wolverine

I've been using my summer break to do some organizing around the house.  I built some shelving in my garage and finally threw out some useless junk.  I used my newfound space in the garage to move some things out of my shed (which is ridiculously small) and I can move around both spaces for the first time since we moved in almost three years ago.  The organization has extended to my card closet, of course.  As part of this organizing movement, I cleared out some space in my trader box.  In my trader box, I set aside cards that come my way that I think other bloggers might like.  This month, I sent out a few stacks of cards unannounced to a few different bloggers.

One of them, Dennis at Too Many Marios Verlanders, was quick to send back few things my way.

 

Dennis is a Cal Jr. collector, so it makes sense that he had some extras to send my way.  Surprisingly, all of these cards were needs.  I thought for sure I had the Fleer Tradition checklist and the Donruss in my Cal collection, but it turns out that I didn't.


Joining Ripken, Jr. in my ASG MVP binder is Griffey, Jr.  Dennis is still batting 1.000, as I needed all three of these, too.

He also hit my ROY binder.  I had the two Correas already, but Myers and Hellickson were new to me.

The biggest item in the package, though, was a Starting Lineup figure of former All-Star MVP Jeff Conine.  I don't collect SLU, but I do collect the cards that accompany them.


That's not to say the I couldn't put the figure to good use, though.  I still have a few of them from my childhood days, and they sit on display in my classroom.


Conine was able to join his Kenner brethren Barry Sanders, Rod Carew, Harmon Killebrew, and Whitey Ford in a middle school classroom.  The guy you see on the far right is a new item, too.  It came from a stadium giveaway a couple of weeks ago for the local rookie ball team, the Orem Owlz.

Interestingly, I sent a package to Ann Arbor full of Michigan Wolverines, and ended up getting something in return that I could put in my classroom.  Our school's mascot?  Why, it's the Wolverines, of course.  From one Wolverine to another, thank you for the package, Dennis.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool about your school's nickname, and I like your shelf with the figures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got SLU's lining my classroom shelves as well. And like you... I don't really collect the figures as much as I collect the cards.

    P.S. Dennis is awesome! A very generous blogger.

    ReplyDelete