Thursday, November 12, 2020

Contributors to a Gallery

 I went out looking for Update. This may be shocking to some of you, but I couldn't find it at my local Wal-Mart. I did, however, find some Gallery. Just not this year's. The only option I had for sports cards was a handful of 2019 Topps Gallery fat packs. Since I didn't buy any Gallery last year and I was in the mood to bust a couple of packs, I picked up a few packs.

These are the keepers for my collection. My favorite card here is the Nicholas Castellano Cubs card. The wood parallel and the Heritage inserts are both represented here, both Alex Bregman. I know that a lot of people don't care for Gallery, but I usually like it. One thing I've noticed is the quality of artwork varies, though. Going through these packs, I started to pick up on the artists' styles.

So I decided to present my pulls, grouped together by artist.


These are all by an artist named Kevin Graham. I feel like his portraits were most lifelike. Steven Duggar, in particular, almost looks like a photograph.


This artist is Todd Aaron Smith.


These cards were done by Josh Trout. He seems to prefer portraying in-game action. The Kershaw is a gorgeous card, in my opinion.



These four cards are by an artist named Dan Bergren.

Here is some work by John Giancaspro, who contributed to the Master & Apprentice insert set. Yount and Yelich, by the way? I must have missed something, but I don't think there was ever an apprenticeship relationship between these two. Yelich didn't even come up with the Brewers.



This group of portraits was done by Carlos Cabaleiro. This is probably my least favorite of the artists. A couple of these faces, like Goldschmidt and Andujar, just look off to me. And you can't really see it here, but it looks like Christin Stewart has a giant, white zit right between his eyes. Not my favorite group.



The final artist who contributed to my Gallery purchase was Louise Draper. She also did the Bregman Heritage insert. As far as I can tell, Ms. Draper didn't do any of the base cards, but she got the entire Heritage insert set.

I'm sure this post would have been more interesting if I were an art connoisseur, or even competently versed in some form of art criticism. Instead, I can only tell you that I think my favorite artist was Josh Trout, while I didn't care for Carlos Cabaleiro. Truly, I would rather hear your opinions. Which artist do you prefer, based on the sampling I have provided here? Is there any you don't like as much? Let me know in the comments.


3 comments:

  1. Draper's painting of Syndergaard is pretty flippin' awesome. I also really like Trout's version of Kershaw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw some 2020 Topps Gallery on another blog and... these are much nicer. As for the artists, I think I like Bergren's the best. Giancaspro might be my least favorite here, especially that Cole Tucker card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like gallery is always available even during a sell out during the pandemic

    ReplyDelete