Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Tis the Season for Goodwill

A lot of these "Cards on Cards sent me some stuff that he got from Goodwill" posts have been circulating lately.  I guess they are helping to identify the football collectors in cardsphere, as all of the cards Kerry picked up are of the pigskin variety.  Most of them came from the mid-90s, so I claimed some to bolster my All-1990s decade binder, some sets, and, of course, some Packers.  There was definitely a theme of inserts, oddballs, and parallels in the Goodwill collection.


Case in point: here are All-Pro inserts from 1991, 1992, and 1994 Fleer.  Everything 1991 Fleer is kind of blah, including these inserts.  But I really like the All-Pro inserts that followed over the years.


Here are more varied inserts.  This Gino Torretta is my first card of him, and the only reason I care is for the sake of my nascent Heisman binder.  I'm realizing just how little I bought in 1992 (I was only 10), because I had never seen any of the next few insert sets.  We have 1992 Pro Set Power Combos, 1992 Score Gridiron Stars, 1992 Upper Deck Coaches Report, 1992 Wild Card Field Force, and 1992 Wild Card Running Wild.  When I saw the pencil on Edgar Bennett's name, I thought I was looking at some kind of oddball or promo, but no.  These were pack issued inserts.  I find it very odd that Wild Card saw fit to honor Vince Workman-- a guy with all of 83 career carries in three seasons at the time the card was issued--in an insert set called "Running Wild."


Wild Card stripes, Topps Gold, and Collector's Choice silver stamps.  This is definitely the 90s.  I really like the Score Gold Zone LeRoy Butler.  And the double exposure Gary Anderson on a 1994 Special Effects card makes a really-good looking card.


I mentioned some oddballs, and here they are.  I've almost completed my Monsters of the Gridiron set now.  Skybox's 75 Seasons promo caught my eye, because I have lots of fond memories of that 75th Season celebration.  If I wasn't a football junkie at that time, I certainly was by the end of the year.  The two Cortez Kennedy cards are the Orowheat Seattle Seahawks team set.  I didn't even realize they were parallels when I asked for them.  I just needed some Kennedy for my All-Decade collection.

Apparently Topps did an Archives football set in 1994.  I know next to nothing about this set, but I got a legendary Pat Summerall and a gold Packer.

I really appreciated the Goodwill football, but Kerry didn't stop there.  He threw in some MLB Rookie of the Year winners, too.  I wasn't expecting this.  I'm glad to have the Bowman Jason Bay rookie, but it was awfully generous to throw in parallels, SPs, and inserts of popular players Aaron Judge,Corey Seager, and Derek Jeter.

I'll leave you with some shiny baseball players.  Longoria and Posey are both of the refractor type.

I asked for more football than I thought I should lay claim to, and then Kerry added more than I requested.  I appreciate the generosity, and yes, the Goodwill.  

3 comments:

  1. Glad you liked the cards! I got your package the other day, but I haven't had the chance to properly go through it yet. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw man, I need one of those base GQ Jeters. I'll swap you for a couple of his other cards if you like...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerry is quite generous. Lots of cool stuff here. I like the Packers cards of course, but the Monk and Roaf are neat, too.

    ReplyDelete