Friday, September 27, 2019

Back on the TCDB Trading Horse

I took about 6 months off from trading on my favorite trading site.  Part of my reason was the rising cost of postage made me less willing to send out trade packages.  One other, bigger, reason was that I needed to get my tradelists in order.  I was finding far too many trade proposals were coming in and I was missing a card or two that the computer said I had, but I did not.  So I went through the grueling process of going through my traders and touching each card, and removing the cards I did not touch from the list.  I'm not sure that I'm done and that my tradelist is perfect, but I feel much better about it.  In June, I resumed trading--and I completed a record number of trades this summer.  At least for me.  There were a couple of blockbusters involving hundreds of cards each, but most were PWE trades.  I've decided to compile all of those PWEs together and share them in a couple of posts.

First, let me thank these trading partners: nwcardsupplies, mtc32226, MoPack626, budler, itsjustoldcardboard, bravefan1, dsorek, joe0786, nozzlemaster, Breck19D, corozco, alh, Lyrical Kees, and T-Rex 70.

Today let's look at some baseball goodies from these various trading partners.






Most of the 2019 Cubs I own have come via trade, and you see a good bundle of them here. I love the Javy Baez inserts to lead things off.  The Cubs season fizzled out in a monumental collapse, but I can at least feel the fun and excitement of the game in some of these cards.  I'm only now realizing that I acquired two copies of the Windy City Warriors team card.  Whoops.  I can't say that's the first time it's happened, though.


Two more inserts featuring my current favorite player.  You know, four years ago--when they broke into the Big Leagues--I would have put more stock in Jorge Soler than Baez.  Soler is having a great season in his own right, but in the wrong shade of blue, while Javy is just a nightly firework display.  Of course, both were less of a sure thing than fellow rookie Kris Bryant.  That was really a pretty good rookie class for the Cubbies.  I hope the window hasn't slammed shut on all that promising youth.

It wasn't all current-year Cubs, though.  Here is another Baez insert, from last year's iteration, and a Chrome former ROY backstop, Geovany Soto.


I got my first card of reigning All-Star MVP Shane "Justin" Bieber through TCDB trades.



As well as some other All-Star MVPs.  I like the Leather and Lumber of Garret Anderson and Frank Robinson, and the 2013 Gold parallel of Michael Young especially.


Once I put Tony Oliva on my want list as a former ROY, it seemed like everyone had a card they wanted to trade me.  I don't often manage to pull off a trade for real vintage, but that's a nice 1976 there.

Same with Pat Listach.  Man, everybody had Listach crowding their tradelists it seemed.  I went from one or two cards to filling my Listach page in no time at all.


More vintage!  All of these players were Rookie of the Year stars.  Some had better careers than others, but I love these cards.  1973 Luis Aparicio may be in rough shape, but it may be the oldest card I own of a bona fide Hall of Famer.



The mid to late 90s, as always, were well-represented.  Finest and Certified in all their protective glory.


Finally, my BYU collection isn't limited to football.  I picked up some cards of former Cougs Wally Joyner, of whom I already have a decent collection, and Jeremy Guthrie, who was sorely lacking in my collection.

Thanks again to a cadre of traders on the database.  I have football PWEs and a couple of monster trades still to post.

2 comments:

  1. Lots of great 90's pickups here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony Oliva doesn't seem to get a lot of hobby love, hence everybody trying to dump his cards on you... their loss though :)

    ReplyDelete