Sunday, October 6, 2019

Back on the TCDB Trading Horse: Football PWE Edition

I took about 6 months off from trading on my favorite trading site.  Part of my reason was the rising cost of postage made me less willing to send out trade packages.  One other, bigger, reason was that I needed to get my tradelists in order.  I was finding far too many trade proposals were coming in and I was missing a card or two that the computer said I had, but I did not.  So I went through the grueling process of going through my traders and touching each card, and removing the cards I did not touch from the list.  I'm not sure that I'm done and that my tradelist is perfect, but I feel much better about it.  In June, I resumed trading--and I completed a record number of trades this summer.  At least for me.  There were a couple of blockbusters involving hundreds of cards each, but most were PWE trades.  I've decided to compile all of those PWEs together and share them in a couple of posts.

First, let me thank these trading partners: nwcardsupplies, mtc32226, MoPack626, budler, itsjustoldcardboard, bravefan1, dsorek, joe0786, nozzlemaster, Breck19D, corozco, alh, Lyrical Kees, and T-Rex 70.
 ********
Since I already showed off the baseball pickups from my myriad PWEs coming from TCDB this summer, let's see the football.  Admittedly, the majority of my football pickups came by way of much larger trades which will get (need) their own posts.



A trio of new Jordy Nelsons for my PC came from a fellow Packers fan. Minus an auto or relic, these cards kind of run the gamut of today's hobby: a parallel, a base, and an insert.


A couple of Ziggys to put in my BYU collection. After a couple of double-digit sack seasons, injuries have slowed down this pash rusher. Here's hoping he can regain form in Seattle, but he's off to bit of a slow start, with only one game started thus far.

I was able to pick up a couple big needs for set builds. JuJu Smith-Schuster has turned out to be one of the bigger stars of the 2017 draft class, so it was nice to pick up this one by trade.


Finally, I have a mixture of a BYU great and a couple of set needs. Virgil Carter was the first great BYU QB, and he played right at the beginning of Lavell Edwards tenure as head coach, as Edwards installed a West Coast offense and helped revolutionize the game.

For the other two cards in the scan, I realized that Nick Toon's father, Al, was in the 1988 1000 Yard Club set with Jerry Rice. Odd coincidence.

Before I leave, let me give a plug for Gavin's new Musicard-centric blog.  You can check it out here.  He's currently running a contest, and all you need to do is go to his first post and talk about music you like. Who doesn't like discussing music? Go check it out!

4 comments:

  1. That Virgil Carter is really great! I keep hoping to run across a few particular cards from that set, but have yet to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rising postal rates and outdated tradelists are the two reasons I haven't completed trades online in years. Heck... I'm having trouble shipping care packages out more than twice a year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's your TCDB handle? Might have some of your set build needs or some BYU uniformed players. jlcre2003

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James, I'm tntcardsstg on TCDB. We've traded before and we're even facing off in the fantasy league this weekend, but the connections are hard to make with so many different handles and screen names. Nice to see you as a blog reader, too!

      Delete