Friday, December 16, 2022

2022 Trading Slash Line: 90/34/2/1246/37

We may not have reached the end of the year quite yet, but I think I have just about wrapped up the trading of 2022. Stat-wise, I've had probably my most solid year of trading--at least in a few years. Let me explain my numbers.

90=Number of trades made, either through TCDB or blogs.
34=Number of states involved in my trading
2=Canadian provinces traded with this year
1246=Number of cards brought in through trading
37=Net cards gained through trades

I'm pretty happy looking at those numbers, but there are two I feel are weaker. First, the net cards brought in. At the beginning of the year, I made a goal to have a negative net trade number. I had two reasons for this. One reason is that I wanted to clear space and I thought a negative trade net would help. The second is that I hoped that I could entice TCDBers to respond more quickly if I had extra cards going to them in my proposals. That was going well until summer hit and I got this wild notion to complete three junk wax sets through cracking boxes and trading. Suddenly my wantlist was filled with 1989 Score, 1990 Topps, and 1991 Fleer baseball. Trade proposals came rolling in with numbers decidedly in my favor because people were all too happy to offload their extras of these sets. 

The other number that I would like to see improve is the number of states involved. This year, I traded with 34 states and 2 Canadian provinces. This map is a nice visual representation of my trading partner locations this year. I'm happy with 90 trades (probably my most ever), but I think it would be pretty cool to get all 50 states in a year.

Now we're going to get heavy into the scans. I had a flurry of trades around Thanksgiving--15 completed trades in less than a month--and I need to get caught up. So allow me to share some of those 1246 cards I added to my collection from trading this year.

First, we have bigger trade with TigerFan22:

He sent some nice BYU cards. I like Bart Oates snapping the ball to Steve Young, just like he did in college!
A few more BYU, this time all Ty Detmer. I really love looking at late-90s variety.
He helped with a smattering of set needs. Jerry Rice is from 1993 Upper Deck. I'm not collecting that whole set, but this card finishes off the Berman's Best subset.

A Rookie of the Year Chris Sabo rookie, some All-Decade performers, and a lone Jordy Nelson addition finish off my trade with TigerFan22.

@CowboysFan1@ sent me all BYU players. Two of these players are having pretty good seasons in their roles. One is not having a great season. Jamaal leads the NFL in rushing touchdowns with 14. Taysom has five himself. Not only that, but  last Monday night, Taysom Hill just became the only player in the Super Bowl Era with at least nine touchdowns passing, rushing, and receiving. Not too bad.

 

 Capper14 sent another all-BYU trade return.

We'll keep the BYU run going with some of my cards from JBsSetCollection. Here we have some great cards, regardless of the player. A center with his hand on the ball is a mini-collection of mine. A nice Red Pulsar prizm and a rookie auto are great. Consider that all three of these guys are former Cougars, and these are great cards.

More from JBsSetCollection. I particularly like the Davante Adams Turkey Red rookie and the impressionist rendition of Jordy's Lambeau Leap.

Texas A&M fan amalum sent me a couple more BYU players in Jamaal Williams and Kurt Gouveia. Also Heisman winner Jameis Winston in a college uniform, a 1989 Score need, and a short-term stop uniform of ROY Vince Coleman round out this small PWE trade.







This is just a string of very small trades from CH34, deadhead11, jbostic, MichiganFan9, musclebeech, ravensray52, and thesouthpaw. I just want to give a huge shout-out to jbostic, who sent along three 1970s TCMA cards as extras! I'll also point out that I've been low-key building 2014 Topps Valor and a couple of those cards show up in these trades. It's a set that I've really liked since it came out, but I haven't ever put much effort into chasing it. However, it seems like lots of trade proposals lately have included needs for Valor. I typically replace those cards in the offer with more priority wants, but a few have still managed to sneak through. I doubt I care enough to ever finish the set, though.

Steelers fan Bob Warnell sent a couple of legends from the 1980s (the team card is sliding into my Lester Hayes page), a pair of needs from last year's awful Wild Card that I'm collecting for some reason, a handful of last year's Donruss (represented only by Stefon Diggs and A.J. Brown) and a trio of nice-looking Zach Wilson cards.

Myrke helped me with a random assortment of baseball wants.

I used to do an annual post highlighting my Brad Sorensen pickups for the year. It's getting harder and harder to find any new ones, though. This auto from TCDB user briznuts is one of only two this year. The other Sorensen will get its own post in the near future.

 


Trader Maximus sent along a fun bunch of cards. Shiny Detmer, cartoony football-clad basketballer Charlie Ward, police issue John Anderson, and Rey Sanchez signing his 1993 Topps card on his 1994 Topps card all stand out to me. For a player who was good enough to make the 1980s All-Decade team, John Anderson certainly lacks representation on cardboard. I don't think there are even enough standard-sized to fill my Anderson page in the 1980s binder.

Finally, frequent trading partner jlcre2003 and I pulled off good-sized trade.


He helped knock off some set needs.

Some various baseball collection wants.

A few football wants, too.


And of course, a few from all of my favorite teams.

It has been a fun year of trading. A lot of the fun came from the ease of finding trade partners who had the cards I needed for three decidedly overproduced, common sets. I thoroughly enjoyed going from box breaking to trading to complete for three different large sets in a matter of months. Of course, that's not a process I'm going to complete. I don't have the space or desire to go build multiple sets from those years. 

But it wasn't just junk wax set building. You can see from the scans above that a great variety of cards came my way in trades. Thanks to anyone reading who helped me produce a solid trade season stat line!

6 comments:

  1. How many Kurt Gouveia's do you want? I've probably got a ton...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressive stats! I like that you've managed to hit so many different states (and a couple provinces too). And don't think that Steve Hutchinson escaped me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is almost too much variety for one post! I like when people keep track of things with maps, although it doesn't seem like a lot of folks do that anymore. Trading with all 50 states in one year would be quite the task. You'd probably have to start a thread on the TCDB or somewhere similar to get people interested in helping you achieve your goal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice to see cards of offensive linemen, especially non-rookie cards since that's about the only ones produced anymore (and even then it has to be a 1st rounder)

    That Ziggy Ansah Red Prizm is very cool!

    I learned the hard way how many TCDB users will offer up "junk wax" cards when I added every Hartford Whalers issue to my wantlist. Yikes, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 34 different states is very impressive. If I had to guess, I'd say the most I ever did was around 20... and that was when I was active on the card forums.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that map view! Very cool. I can't remember if we traded on TCDB this year (maybe it was year prior), but hopefully we can trade again soon.

    ReplyDelete