Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Cubs Box (Part 1)



Last month, Kerry from Cards on Cards offered up a bunch of Cubs cards that he no longer wanted in his house.  I had a stack of cards set aside for him already, so I figured now is as good a time as any to send them his way, in return for his unwanted debris.  The resulting package was two  400-count Loot Locker boxes filled with Cubs.  Well, almost filled with Cubs.  Kerry had also stowed some Jazz and Packers.  How serendipitous is that?  I mean, Kerry puts a few random basketball and football cards in the Cubs box and it turns out that the person claiming the box actually needed/wanted those cards, too!

All facetiousness aside, it was a great haul and I'm grateful for the offer.  Kerry warned that the contents were mostly junk wax, but the truth is that my collection has plenty of junk wax holes.  It took a while to sort through everything and check it against my collection.  In the end, this is the amount of cards that ended up in my collection:


Let's start the Show and Tell with the individual great Cubs that I tend to focus on.


With this page of Rynos, he has passed Mark Grace in terms of largest individual Cub collection.  Grace may still be my favorite, but Sandberg is more prolific on the cardboard.


Speaking of Grace, here is with two other infielders who receive special attention in my collection.  I love the Topps Glossy Rookie insert here.  Vance Law is a BYU guy and Nomar is a ROY, but I would have collected him anyway.  I always liked Nomah.


Jerome Walton is one of my favorite Cubs ever.  I'm always surprised when I learn that one of his major releases from 1990-1991 isn't in one of my collections already.  Maybe that's why I don't have them all; when I see them I assume I already have them and pass them up.  These three were still needed somehow.


Sutcliffe is another one of my favorites.  I will collect any all Sutcliffe cards because was a ROY, and not with the Cubs.  Here is some more junk wax that I'm fairly certain I'm the last collector on the planet to obtain.


Another ROY, this one a Hall of Famer, Andre Dawson spent some great years with the North Siders.  Here we have a helping of Donruss, Fleer, and Score.  I miss Fleer.  I usually enjoyed their designs.  (I never minded the yellow.  I never thought it was great, but I don't despise it, either.)  Score may the epitome of cheap junk cards, but I really liked a lot of their designs, as well.


A couple more Hall of Famers who called Wrigley home.  I have so few of those Studio cards from the early 90s.  I don't know how I feel about them.  Part of me says, "That's pretty cool," and another part of me finds them a bit off-putting.  Of these cards, the Studio Maddux is my favorite, though.


Since I have showcased both Grace and Dawson here, it's time to present a little something I call, "Great Baseball Players Running Awkwardly."  Seriously, both of these cards look so unathletic.  Grace looks like he's just tromping off to beat the snot out of somebody and Dawson looks like a lumbering giant who hasn't figured out how to move his arms while running. 


Kerry's Cubs box contained a lot of late 80s and early 90s cards.  That wasn't the case with all the cards, though.  Some of the cards were new and even shiny, too!  I'll show off the rest some other time.  Big thanks to Cards on Cards for being a Cardinals fan and wanting to dump his Cubs cards. They found a welcoming home.

1 comment:

  1. I'm definitely glad these ended up in the hands of someone who needed so many of the cards! I was guessing 97% of these would end up donated, recycled, or re-gifted.

    ReplyDelete